Burgers are always a great answer to the age-old question, "What's for Dinner?" Follow these tips to make your best burgers ever.
1) Start with ground chuck. The ratio of fat to lean in chuck meat is perfect for making the juiciest, most flavorful homemade burgers. Try this Onion & Cheddar Burgers recipe for a real treat!
2) Make sure the meat is well chilled before forming the patties to make it a little easier.
3) When you grill burgers, use about 1/2 pound of meat per patty. They should be 1/2- to 3/4-inch thick, but press a dimple in the middle so it’s a bit thinner than the rest of the burger. This will prevent the burgers from puffing up or curling into a ball while they cook. Make the patties slightly larger in diameter than that of the buns you’ll be using, since they'll shrink when cooked.
4) Preheat your grill, using a high flame, and make sure the grill grates are clean.
5) Season the patties generously on both sides with salt and pepper.
6) Sear the burgers over a high flame to start to get nice grill marks and to seal in the juices, then finish cooking them over indirect heat so they don’t dry out. They’ll take about 3-4 minutes per side to cook. Don’t press on the burgers with a spatula while they’re cooking, as it will force the juices out of the meat.
7) To check doneness, you can use an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the burger. The USDA recommends that ground beef reach an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees, which is about medium doneness.
8)Don’t forget to wash your hands and any utensils thoroughly after handling raw hamburger or any raw meat.
9) Now for the best part—enjoy your delicious, juicy burger with all your favorite toppings.
More Cooking Tips
Learn the secret to making perfect fried rice from global cooking expert Jaden Hair, then try her delicious and easy Fried Brown Rice with Tofu recipe!
Nothing beats a freshly baked muffin. Check out these tips for baking the best muffins, and then try them out with some of our free muffin recipes.
Roast chicken is one of the simplest and most comforting meals you can prepare for your family, and it should be in every cook's repertoire. Here are some tips to show you how easy it can be to pull a juicy, golden brown roast chicken out of your oven.
Here are some simple tips to avoid tears when cutting onions. Take this advice when you prep onions for any of the easy recipes from CookingVillage!
Follow these tips on how to cook pasta perfectly every time. Then use them for any of CookingVillage's easy pasta recipes!
Grill burgers like a pro with these 8 burger tips from CookingVillage.
Peeling potatoes is a tedious chore that can take quite awhile. Learn the secret trick to peel potatoes quickly and easily, no peeler required! Then try some of the delicious, easy potato recipes at CookingVillage.
What's For Dinner
Sign up today for our daily
"What's for Dinner" Newsletter!
Top Ranked Recipes